Milton Township, Jackson County, Ohio
In 1829, Thomas Woodson moved his family from Chillicothe, Ross County, to the mulatto community of Berlin Crossroads in Jackson County, Ohio. Of the many parcels of land that he acquired between 1829 and 1844, all that remains is the land on which stands the Woodson Cemetery and the Rachel Cassel Educational Center.
The first Woodson to be buried there is a Benjamin Woodson who died on 9 March 1838. There are 14 Woodson surnames in the cemetery, and among them is Jemima Woodson , wife of Thomas Woodson, who died on 18 March 1868. There are approximately 102 people there and they consist of Thomas Woodson’s children, grandchildren, his in-laws, extended family members, neighbors and a descendant of the Madison Hemings family. There have been internments in the Woodson Cemetery from 1827 to 2005; the last year visited by family members.
Although the headstone for Thomas Woodson was missing, it is believed that he is buried next to Jemima. In an installation ceremony held in the summer of 1996 by the Woodson Family Association, a new headstone for Thomas and Jemima Woodson was installed adjacent to her original headstone. The entrance gate was also replaced at that time.
The Woodson Cemetery is located on the crest of a hill at the site of the homeplace. The directions to the cemetery from Chillicothe are:
- US-35 East/US -50 East(signs for Jackson/Athens;
- OH-32 /OH-124, exit towards Athens/Cincinnati;
- left on OH-32 East;
- exit 17 for OH-327 towards OH-124/Wellston;
- turn left onto OH-327 North.